It can often be difficult to know what to look for when choosing a boarding cattery – you want to feel secure in the knowledge that your treasured pets are in safe hands while you’re away.
To help you find a good boarding cattery, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you in your research. The last thing you want when you’re on holiday is to be worrying about your pets. We’re here to help.
- Good places book up fast - A place being booked up is actually a very good sign. Make sure to start your search early and ask them how busy they tend to be for future bookings.
- Recommendations and a license - Social media can be a great place to check a cattery for reviews and recommendations. It’s also worth checking to see if the cattery is licensed by the local authority.
- Make an unannounced visit - Don’t be afraid to drop by without an appointment, this will help you to see the conditions of the cattery when a visit is unexpected.
- Check the conditions in real life - Check the living area is warm, secure, clean and dry, with plenty of comfortable areas. Ideally, individual cat pens should have toys, a scratching post, something to hide in or under, a shelf where the cat can rest, and a large litter tray.
- Are there cats within viewing distance of one another? - Cats that don’t know each other should not be able to see one another as this can cause them a great deal of stress. Cages should be side by side to minimise this.
- Do they ask questions about your pet? - Asking questions about your cat’s routine, diet and vaccinations is a good sign that they care about the wellbeing of your pet, and surrounding pets.
- Know what to do in an emergency - For complete peace of mind, ask about insurance cover and what the procedure is for contacting you (or a vet) in case of a veterinary emergency.
- Consider a cat sitter - Cats are far more comfortable at home in their own territory. If there is a cat sitter available, this might suit your cat far better than a boarding cattery.
This checklist should help ensure that you find a secure, clean and well organised cattery that truly cares about the wellbeing of your pet.