The season of adventure is fast approaching. With the combination of longer days and brighter weather, there are more reasons to take to the great outdoors with your canine companion.
Why should you explore with your dog?
Hiking with your dog can be a rewarding experience for both of you. Not only is it great exercise for you, it also provides the perfect opportunity to spend quality time together and solidifying your bond too.
Whether you’re planning a day hike or a longer trip, it’s important to plan thoroughly, prepare yourself and pack some supplies to ensure your dog is happy and healthy when travelling with you.
To help you prepare for these upcoming adventures, we’ve put together a handy checklist, to ensure you don’t miss a thing and can make the most of your adventures together.
Items to take with you:
- Fresh water, food and treats
- A collapsible bowl to make eating and drinking easier
- Up-to-date ID tags, a well-fitting collar and a sturdy lead
- A car restraint such as a dog seatbelt clip
- A bed or blanket to rest on
- A towel to clean off or dry off on
- Dog sunscreen
- A first aid kit
- Plenty of doggy waste bags
Watch out for:
- Other dogs that may or may not be on a lead
- Small animals such as hares, rabbits, squirrels and frogs that dogs could chase
- Large animals such as livestock that could harm your dog
- Stinging nettles, thistles, and poisonous plants
- Check your dog for ticks and fleas at the end of each day
- Allow time for frequent rest and water breaks
- Hike where there is shade wherever possible
- Avoid areas that permit hunting or with lots of farm or private land
With these short and useful lists in mind, we hope you both enjoy your adventures together and feel fresh and healthy after plenty of exercise in the great outdoors.